Travelling or returning to the Pacific Islands
All flights between New Zealand and Rarotonga are currently quarantine-free flights. Find out the conditions of entry and the forms you'll need to complete for both directions of your travel.
Before your trip
- To fly quarantine-free, you will need to spend a minimum of 14 days before your date of departure in either New Zealand or the Cook Islands.
- Due to Government regulations, bookings from New Zealand to the Cook Islands cannot be made within 48 hours of departure. If you need to travel urgently, please call our Contact Centre.
- During the 14-day period before travel, you must not have had a positive COVID-19 test (or if you have, you have written advice from a health practitioner that you are no longer infectious).
- You must not be awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test that was undergone during the 14-day period.
- Please bring evidence of any pre-existing conditions when you check in, to avoid being denied boarding. Please also check the terms and conditions of your travel insurance with regards to being denied boarding due to COVID-19.
Check the Cook Islands Government health criteria for the latest information.
- You must complete the Cook Islands contact information form within 72 hours of departure. Once submitted, you will receive a copy to the email you provided. You must present this receipt at check-in, in order to board your flight.
- You will need to complete documentation prior to travelling back to New Zealand. We recommend that you complete this Nau Mai Rā travel declaration before you leave New Zealand for the Cook Islands.
Passports and Visas
- You will need a valid passport. If you usually need a visa to enter the Cook Islands, then you will need one to travel quarantine-free. New Zealand citizens do not need a visa to travel to the Cook Islands.
- To make your travel as seamless as possible, please add all passengers' passport details to your booking.
When you're abroad
- Keep up to date with local travel alerts and stay informed of any disruptions which may affect your travel.
Check the Cook Islands Government travel restrictions, Cook Islands Travel Advisory, and the Cook Islands Ministry of Health status for the most up-to-date information. Check if your travel plans with Air New Zealand are impacted by major events on our Travel alerts page.
Before your return
- If you plan to return to the Cook Islands, the entry requirements also apply to you, including completing a travel declaration. Please ensure you meet all Cook Islands Government requirements for your return journey.
- If you plan to return to New Zealand, you will need to complete the online Nau Mai Rā: New Zealand Travel Declaration prior to travelling back to New Zealand.
Check the Cook Islands Government requirements for the latest information.