Airpoints™ for Schools terms & conditions
1. Definitions & application process
Each of the dates set out below relate to the 2019/2020 Airpoints for Schools programme:
"Application Period" - 16 September 2019 - 31 October 2019
"Draw Date" - 7 November 2019
"Notification Date" - 8 November 2019
"Final Notification Date" - 12 November 2019
"Supplementary Submission Date" - 22 November 2019
"Donation Start Date" - 1 March 2020
"Donation End Date" - 30 April 2020
"Eligible Travel Dates" - 1 May 2020 - 1 May 2021
Applications must be received by Air New Zealand within the Application Period. Entries received outside the Application Period will not be considered.
Applications are open to any school that meets the eligibility criteria.
An eligible school is any Primary, Intermediate, Secondary or Mixed Level school within New Zealand, of deciles 1-10.
To apply, schools must complete an online application form available via the Air New Zealand website.
The applicant making the submission on behalf of the school must be currently employed by the school.
Schools will be required to provide the following information during the application process:
- Applicant's full name, contact information and position held at the school.
- School name, address, decile, level, type and contact details.
- An explanation of why the funding is being sought, including:
- Details of the proposed travel including:
- Purpose and details of domestic or international travel needs, such as travel to an event and/or educational school trips;
- The travel locations; and
- The travel dates (note: travel dates must occur within the Eligible Travel Dates and cannot be changed once the donation period has opened);
- All students and teachers or chaperones must travel to and from the travel destination together
- The approximate value of funding sought (up to a maximum of 20,000 Airpoints Dollars);
- The number of students travelling;
- The number of teachers and/or chaperones travelling (Note: the following restrictions on student/chaperone ratios apply. For High School & Intermediate - no more than 1 adult per 4 students; for Primary School (age 7 and older) - no more than 1 adult per 3 students; for Primary School (under age 7) - up to 1 adult per student. If necessary, we may consider requests outside these ratios. Teachers and employees of the school are preferred as chaperones; if a parent or other non-school chaperone is required as a chaperone, this must be stated in your application.)
Note: Applicants must ensure that the application accurately states the number of students, teachers and/or chaperones travelling; changes to these numbers may only be made with the written consent of Air New Zealand.
- Details of the proposed travel including:
- Any other supporting documentation, such as images, references, etc.
A board of Air New Zealand representatives, with endorsement from the Ministry of Education, will select a number of schools at its own discretion. The selected schools will be chosen on the Draw Date and will be notified via the contact telephone number and/or email provided in the application form no later than the Notification Date.
The selected schools must provide the following additional information by the Supplementary Submission Date:
- Sign off from the school Principal and any other relevant parties subject to the school's own policy (such as a member of the school's Board of Trustees). The sign off must be provided in the form of a signed letter using the template provided by Air New Zealand and signed by all relevant parties. The name and position of the person that will be making the travel bookings on behalf of the school (if selected) must be outlined within this letter;
- Image(s) which best represent the school, for use across Air New Zealand communications channels, if the school is selected. An image of the school group/individuals seeking travel must be provided. Refer to section 4 for more details; and
- Any other information that Air New Zealand reasonably requires to process, facilitate or otherwise deal with the school's application or participation in the Airpoints for Schools programme.
If Air New Zealand is unable to contact the selected school using reasonable efforts by the Final Notification Date, or if the school does not provide the additional information by the Supplementary Submission Date, Air New Zealand may revoke the selected school's participation in the Airpoints for Schools programme and select an alternative school at its own discretion. The judging panel's decision is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
If a school is selected, it will be featured on both the Air New Zealand website and on the Airpoints Store, and in any other relevant Air New Zealand channels.
2. Airpoints member donations
Airpoints members will be able to donate their Airpoints Dollars™ to a selected school from the Donation Start Date.
Airpoints members will be able to donate Airpoints Dollars to a selected school via the "Airpoints for Schools" category on the Airpoints Store. The Airpoints Store is only available to Airpoints members that reside within New Zealand.
Airpoints Dollar donations are not equivalent to cash and therefore do not classify as a charitable donation and are not eligible for tax credits.
Each selected school is eligible to receive funding of up to 20,000 Airpoints Dollars. Unless otherwise stated, any Airpoints Dollars donated to a school that are not used or redeemed in accordance with these terms and conditions, or are in excess of the maximum funding amount, may, at Air New Zealand's discretion, be transferred to another school(s) in the current Airpoints for Schools programme (up to the maximum funding amount) or allocated to schools selected in the subsequent Airpoints for Schools programme, such allocation to be determined at Air New Zealand's discretion.
All donations of Airpoints Dollars processed through the Airpoints Store are final and cannot be cancelled or refunded.
Airpoints members may provide a donation until the Donation End Date.
3. Redeeming Airpoints Dollars for flight rewards
Airpoints Dollars donated to a school will be held in a separate account for the school by Air New Zealand. Airpoints Dollar donations will be made available for the school to access from 10:00am on the next working day following the Donation End Date.
Airpoints Dollars are to only be used for the original travel applied for and specified on the school's application form. Travel must be booked and taken within the Eligible Travel Dates. If not used for this purpose during this time period then any remaining Airpoints Dollars will be forfeited, regardless of the Airpoints programme expiry rules. Air New Zealand may allocate, at its discretion any forfeited Airpoints Dollars to schools selected in the subsequent Airpoints for Schools programme.
Airpoints Dollars can be used for Air New Zealand operated and ticketed flight redemptions only, and can only be applied towards current school employees, students and nominated chaperones travelling with the school group as outlined on the application.
Airpoints Dollars can be used for either domestic or international travel in economy class and not for any other purpose. Note: If traveling internationally, valid passports are required, the cost of which is payable by the school/individual.
Airpoints Dollars must be redeemed directly through the Air New Zealand point of contact notified to the selected school. Online redemptions are not available. The Air New Zealand point of contact will arrange the necessary flight bookings for their travel requirements. Only the person nominated in the school's application to arrange travel (where applicable) is authorised to redeem Airpoints Dollars through the Air New Zealand point of contact. If no person is nominated in the school's application, the school must notify Air New Zealand of the person authorised to arrange travel for the school in writing at least ten (10) working days before any booking is made.
Where Airpoints Dollars are redeemed for international airfares, any taxes associated with those airfares will be paid for by Air New Zealand as a donation to the school. The selected schools will be required to issue a receipt for taxes paid by Air New Zealand as a donation, each time a flight booking is made.
4. Publicity requirements
The selected school must agree to be featured on the Air New Zealand website(s) (including the Airpoints Store website) and across other Air New Zealand communication channels as deemed by Air New Zealand. The content of this will be formulated using subsets of the story and imagery which the school has provided within their application, and from the trips taken using the funding received.
Each time the school redeems any value of Airpoints Dollars, the school shall provide the completed Trip Summary Template (which will be provided by Air New Zealand on request) to Air New Zealand within two (2) weeks returning from any travel. The completed Trip Summary Template must be completed by a teacher and must include details of how the Airpoints Dollars have benefited the school, students and community and a minimum of three (3) high quality images taken in connection with the trip. The school will work with the Air New Zealand media team regarding possible media stories which can be used to promote the trip taken by the school to New Zealand communities.
Air New Zealand reserves the right to appoint its own photographer to take photographs throughout a trip.
Air New Zealand will publish the school's feedback stories in Airpoints programme member updates and across other Air New Zealand channels, and will outline how the schools have used their Airpoints Dollars.
The school is required to seek permission of persons appearing in all images provided to or taken by Air New Zealand, including parental permission for those images which feature students aged 18 years and under. The school will take all reasonable steps to obtain such consent. Air New Zealand will provide consent/waiver forms.
Air New Zealand reserves the right to terminate a school's participation in the Airpoints for Schools programme by notice in writing if we reasonably believe that the school or its representatives have:
- Abused, misused or obtained by any misrepresentation any Airpoints Dollars or other facilities or arrangements provided by or in connection with the Airpoints for Schools programme;
- Behaved in a manner which Air New Zealand reasonably considers to be unacceptable while travelling with Air New Zealand using the Airpoints Dollars donated to the school's Airpoints for Schools account, or while using any other facilities, services, or arrangements provided by or in connection with the Airpoints for Schools programme;
- Acted in any way that is detrimental to the interests of Air New Zealand or the Airpoints for Schools programme;
- Provided incorrect or misleading information to Air New Zealand in connection with the school's participation in the Airpoints for Schools programme; or
- Otherwise breached these terms and conditions and such breach has not been remedied within one (1) week of Air New Zealand notifying the school of the breach.
If the school's participation in the Airpoints for Schools programme is terminated by Air New Zealand pursuant to this clause:
- Any unused or unredeemed Airpoints Dollars will be forfeited and returned to the relevant Airpoints members (where possible);
- If the Airpoints Dollars have been used or redeemed, the school will, on Air New Zealand's request, return to and/or repay Air New Zealand a proportion of the amount used or redeemed. The proportion to be returned and/or repaid will be determined by Air New Zealand at its discretion but will not exceed fifty percent (50%) of the amount used/redeemed by the school
Airpoints terms and conditions apply. In the event of a conflict between these terms and the Airpoints terms and conditions, these terms will apply.