Additional security measures for international passengers
All travellers leaving New Zealand and all passengers departing Shanghai Pudong International Airport have to comply with the following:
- All liquids, aerosols or gels must be in individual containers of 100ml or less
- All containers must be carried in a re-sealable transparent plastic bag no larger than one litre (approximately 20cm x 20cm or 8 inches x 8 inches)
- Only one plastic bag is permitted per passenger (including children)
- The plastic bag must be sealed and presented separately from all other carry-on baggage at the screening point
Medicines, essential dietary supplies and baby products may be permitted upon presentation of supporting documentation (ID cards, letters from doctors) or at the discretion of aviation security officers.
These security measures are consistent with those already in place in the USA, European Community, Canada, Japan and Fiji.
What type of liquids, aerosols and gels do these measures cover?
The new security measures apply to any items that are liquid, gel or aerosol spray in nature, such as but not limited to:
- Water and other drinks, soups, syrups, jams, stews, sauces and pastes;
- Foods in sauces or containing a high liquid content;
- Creams, lotions, cosmetics (that are LAGs) and oils;
- Gels including hair and shower gels;
- Contents of pressurised containers, including shaving foam, other foam and deodorants;
- Pastes including toothpaste;
- Liquid-solid mixtures;
- Lip gloss or lip balm; and
- Any item of similar consistency at room temperature
Please bring your own plastic bag and containers as these are not available at the airport.
We recommend you pack any non essential liquids, aerosols and gels into your checked-in baggage.
For more information on the new regulation including what items are permitted please visit:
New Zealand's Ministry of Transport page and Shanghai Pudong International Airport's Departure and Arrival procedures page.